Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Pigs...pigs....and more PIGS! Oink!



Pig story number one: Little Pink Pup by Johanna Kerby. The cover will grab you right away. First time I saw it, I had to do a double take...A bunch of dachshund puppies and....a little pink piglet! I can hear the ooohhhsss and aaahhhsss from my kids already! Of course, gotta check those endpages and I am happy to report they are so cute with the dachshund pawprints and the piglet pawprints. This book is in the easy section of our public library but is based on true events that happened on the author's farm in Elizabeth, West Virginia. (Side note: Elizabeth is a town with a population of 994 and I have been there!! I have pictures to prove it. My Grandpa was born and raised not far from Elizabeth in Pee Wee, West Virginia so seeing this is where the author lives connected me even more to the story!) Pink the piglet is the runt of the litter. The Kerby family did not think he would survive in the barn so they brought him in the house and he was "adopted" by Tink the dachshund, mother of new puppies. Kids love animal stories and the love TRUE animal stories more. There is a message in this book, one that many people, adults include, could stand to learn...acceptance of those who are different. That you do not have to be the same "animal" to be a family. Love it.

Author's http://www.johannakerby.com/
*Note: I have not looked through the author's entire blog.

Story: 5 Buckeye leaves
Illustrations: 4 Buckeye leaves (photographs are great but I wish I could have seen more of the farm, where the pigs live, etc.)



A Pig Parade is a Terrible Idea by Michael Ian Black
I will admit right off I had to read this book more than once to really "get it". Part of it was because I was trying to read it to the soon to be 3 year old and was trying to feed him while I read and was not focused on the book. (Yes, that is how we get him to eat some days....we read and he forgets he is eating and he will open and shut his mouth for us.) Basically if you have ever thought of organizing a pig parade - DON'T DO IT!! Those pigs...they just DO NOT cooperate! They do not like floats, other than rootbeer floats, will not march, and don't even try the uniforms! I have not read it to kids yet (at school) so I am anxious to see what they say about it - it is on the plan for 2nd grade this week!

Story: 4 Buckeye leaves
Illustrations: 4 Buckeye leaves

No comments: