Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Happy Pig Day! by Mo Willems


FINALLY! This book has been out 2 weeks and only TODAY have I got my hands on it. For some reason our BIG chain bookstore did not have it....hmmmm.....

Piggie and Gerald are back! This time they are celebrating a special day....it is HAPPY PIG DAY! Everyone is prepared to celebrate the big day, except Gerald. Gerald is feeling a little left out since he is not a pig. Being a good friend, Piggie tries to talk to his friend sensing that his friend is upset. Gerald explains that he can not celebrate because he has a trunk, big ears, is gray, and has no snout. Piggie then explains that they can still celebrate Happy Pig Day together. As a big Mo Willems fan, I was very excited to get my hands on this newest Piggie and Elephant book. I was a little surprised to finally read it though. I enjoyed it - as expected, not my favorite though - but I was impressed that there was a "deeper" meaning to this book. Piggie and Gerald are friends even though one is a pig and one is an elephant. In this book Gerald even lists the differences between himself and Piggie. Piggie then points out, that it is ok to be different. Not sure if this was really Willems' point or if I am reading into it, but was nice just the same. Regardless fans of Willems will be pleased to see Piggie and Elephant back!

No comments: