Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dot by Patricia Intriago



When I first saw this book on the new book shelf at the public library, it reminded me of Press Here! (which I love). But once we brought it home to read I found it to be a different kind of DOT book! We have read this numerous times since Wednesday and each time I notice something a little different. As Lane Smith said in a review, "I’m guessing the graphics are what will initially attract folks to Dot. They are understated and perfect. But for me, the real revelation is the subtle and clever text." I read Dot again after seeing this quote and was struck by how very true Smith's words are. But I also think it is the pairing of the words AND the illustrations that make this book that much more. I struggle to select my favorite comparison in the book, maybe because each time I read it, I select a different one as my favorites: "This dot is yummy.."This dot tastes bad" is hitting me tonight!

Text: 4 Buckeye leaves
Illustrations: 5 Buckeye Leaves

2 comments:

Patricia Intriago said...

Thank you so much for reading my book and for "getting" it. I love to hear people's reactions and it makes me feel great to know that I made someone smile. :)

Marjorie said...

I love the cover illustration (which made me think of Kathryn Otoshi's One) - and your post is very intriguing... I'll have to look out for it.