Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This Plus That: Life's Little Equations Amy + Krouse + Rosenthal = Writer




LOVE IT....LOVE IT....LOVE IT....DID I MENTION I LOVE IT?!!?? OK I admit it. I am a HUGE Rosenthal fan. I love how she is able to portray big ideas and lessons in very simple books, using simple words. (Side note: I was star struck in February when I got to see her and go to one of her sessions at the Dublin Literacy Conference. She is so very down to Earth and relaxed.) So anyways, enough gushing.....as the title hints, this book contains lots of "equations". I tried to pick my favorite as I was reading....yeah, that did not work well because each page I would find a NEW favorite. That being said, here are some of my top choices:
"practice + practice = learning" AND on the same page "practice + practice + practice = mastering"
"good days + bad days = real life" AND on the same page "once upon a time + happily ever after = pretend"

There are so many more "favorites" but YOU need to get your hands on this book yourself to truly enjoy! I think kids would love making up their own equations. Some of her other equations had subtraction, multiplication, and division. Again words are simple yet really make you think. The illustrations, Jen + Corace = Artist, match perfectly with Amy's style, simple and clean. Great book that I cant wait to share with kiddos!


Story: 5 Buckeye Leaves
Illustrations: 5 Buckeye leaves

No comments: