Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Professor Garfield Website

Yes, as in Garfield the Cat! This is a pretty neat website - and fun - for kids! I wanted to remember it so I am recording it here. The site has a few features that I checked out.

Toon Reader - There are some graphic novels it will read to you OR you can opt to read it to yourself. I like the fact that if it is reading it to you, it highlights the box it is reading in red so you can follow along.

The Reading Ring - It does have a "boxing" theme so you may want to skip it if that is not approriate for your child. I personally got past the boxing issue when I realized what it was...I actually did this the OLD FASHIONED way when I was teaching in the classroom! There are 3 (or maybe more the higher you go. I only did a couple) boxes from a comic mixed up. The reader must read and put them in order. Then questions are generated about the comic strip.

Brain Buster - crossword puzzles, Sudoku, code buster, etc

Comic Lab - create a comic strip using the prompts. This is cool. Younger kids could do this very easily.

There are some other links but these are the ones I got to look at. The link is below to cut and paste...I still can't figure out how to link it even after 4 years of blogging on a few different blogs!! Enjoy!


http://www.professorgarfield.org/pgf_home.html

No comments: