Monday, May 30, 2011

Lincoln's Legacy (Blast from the Past #1) by Stacia Deutsch & Rhody Cohon


I love picture books....and I can double dip, so to speak, - I can read the books to Adam but my chapter book repertoire is a little rusty. So I decided to try out a new series, Blast From the Past. Now to be fair, I am a history buff. I loved American History so this was not a stretch for me. This is the first book in the series. The book opens on a Monday morning. The class is waiting for their teacher, Mr. Caruther's to show up so they get their new "What If" question. Once Mr. C arrives he announces today's question: "What if Abraham Lincoln never freed the slaves?" Various people give their opinion of how things might have turned out. But things take an interesting turn when Mr. C asks a couple students to stay after school and the students learn the questions are REAL and that they have 2 hours to convince President Lincoln NOT to resign. These books are great for kids in grades 2-4, similar to the very popular Magic Treehouse series . I love books that tie in historical evens in an easy to read, FUN format for kids.

Text: 5 Buckeye Leaves

No comments: