Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Know a Librarian Who Chewed on a Word by Laurie Lazzaro Knowlton

I will admit I love when authors come up with new words for popular books/songs - Mary Had A Little Lamb, Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, etc.  So I found this one during our library visit today and it has made it to my list of "beginning of the year" books to share with the kids.  (Side note:  though I have been cautioned that I may not be seeing the kids in my 3 elementary schools this year...yes, you read that right...3 schools....don't get me started on THAT!).  So It is as you might expect a take off on the Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.  It is pretty clever.  She starts off swallowing a word which in my opinion is better than swallowing a fly.  She then continues to "swallow" things such as:  a book, book cart (ouch), story-hour chair, and on and on.  I know the kids will get a kick out of the things she swallows and all of it leads up to finally revealing the word she swallowed......

Text:  5 Buckeye leaves
Illustrations: 3 Buckeye leaves

No comments: