Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ping Pong Pig and Digby Takes Charge Caroline Jayne Church




Ping Pong Pig and Digby Takes Charge are books we own and I really like. I will admit the thing that first drew me to both of them....the cover art work. I think the art work is adorable. When I took it home for Adam (I got it at a book fair at my school) he liked it too. I also appreciate the fact that the book teaches a lesson - in this case - to do your part and help out. Ping Pong Pig learns this lesson after spending so much time trying to learn to fly and not so much time helping around the farm.

I was at a store in June and saw Digby Takes Charge on the shelf. I thought when I saw the cover the art work looked similar to Ping Pong Pig....and sure enough it was Church. Digby is one of the BEST sheep dogs around BUT is having trouble getting the sheep to listen to him on his new farm. He tries, unsuccessfully, various methods to get the sheep to do as they should. Finally the other animals tell Digby the secret word to get the sheep to move.....PLEASE! Love it!! All kids, and some adults, need reminded about the power of please from time to time!

And as an added bonus....no plain white endpages! woohoo!!!

Text: 5 Buckeye leaves
Illustrations: 5 Buckeye leaves
Endpages: 4 Buckeye leaves

No comments: