Sunday, September 2, 2012

Olivia and the Fairy Princess by Ian Falconer

The 4 year old BOY here....will listen to ANY books....at least once.  He just loves books (still working on his sister but she is coming around thanks to some serious Sandra Boynton brainwashing...)  He really likes Olivia.  He thinks she is hilarious.  Olivia and the Fairy Princess is the newest Olivia book and we both enjoyed it....with ONE exception (I will get to that).  Olivia is having an "identity crisis" because all the girls want to be princesses.  Olivia does not understand WHY all the princesses have to be wearing PINK!  What about princesses from other parts of the world that do NOT wear pink?  (I love Olivia's reasoning!!)  Olivia just does not understand why everyone wants to be a princess.  Olivia thinks of all the things she could be instead of a princess:  a nurse, a reporter, etc.  But in true Olivia style she decides she could be....A QUEEN!  LOVE it!  Perfect ending!  I laughed out loud when I read that!  So......You wondering the part I was not crazy about?  One page...one sentence....and I read it and cringed as I read it to my boy, born in Kazakshtan.....as Olivia is thinking of all the things she could do....."Or maybe adopt orphans from all over the world."  Yes, I know....this hits close to home at our house.  I waited to see if there was any reaction - and my 4 year old did not.  But other kids, older kids, just might respond to that line.  Just make sure, as always, you know your audience....We do use the word "adopted" in our house - kind of hard NOT to!  We talk A LOT about Adam's (and now EmmeClaire's adoption).  I do not use the word "orphan" as it has always struck me as harsh and neither of my kids are "orphans".  Just be aware....and now, I am off my soap box...for now!

Text:  4 Buckeye leaves - LOVE the ending!
Illustrations:  5 Buckeye leaves

But will I read it again to either of my kids.....just not sure,........

No comments: