Thursday, January 12, 2012

Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet


I will admit, this book has been in our house for a while (from public library).....at one point I was going to read it to Adam but I thought it was much longer and skipped over it. WELL I was a rebel tonight and sat down - ALONE - when Daddy was giving Adam a bath and read it to myself. FASCINATING! Yes, I will admit I am a history buff, but I think this nonfiction book would grab kids because 99.9% of all kids LOVE the BIG BALLOONS in the parades! Ever hear of TONY SARG? Without Tony Sarg the Macy's Day Parade would not have the big, popular balloons each year. Tony was a puppeteer that never grew up. He performed with his marionettes on the streets of New York City. He was soon contacted by R. H. Macy's department store to create a "puppet parade" for the store's holiday display. Macy had another job for Sarg. He wanted to help the many immigrants that worked for his company celebrate their home cultures, thus the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was born. Next Sarg worked on balloons, using his puppet background as a basis, that would be big enough for the many people to see. A great book for elementary students. Full of interesting information/facts and unique fun illustrations!

Text: 5 Buckeye Leaves
Illustrations: 5 Buckeye Leaves
Endpages: 5 Buckeye leaves (with the ad from the New York Times, 1933)

A ++++!!!!

No comments: